last winter i jacked up a part of the lower 1/2 of the manor - this year i was determined to finish the job!
please don't judge me on this - the mess is not my doing!!!
basically the whole middle of the lower half has joists (2x6 not 2x8) running across creosote beams that rest on 2, yes, 2 phone pole sections buried in the ground - nice huh?
for starter, i got these old car jacks from my brother g - i painted them with a metal mistint i got for cheap!
i did the easy one first - jack on pt lumber glued to a piece of concrete ... this on has a clearance of 12 inches - oh yeah - i HAD FUN!!!!!
pipe wrench and turn - it pushes in both ways as in compacts the ground while i jack..
this angle gives you a good view - shovelling out the dirt was a real chore!!!
all finished - later on i will give it another twist or so... the goal is NOT to even the floor, but stop the sagging..
next up the other side under the bathroom - 19" here so i am using different tactics... jack and press...
move to one side, repeat and place in section of phone pole on hand!
and shim with ceder shingles - you can get a big pack of crap-grade shingles @ home depot for less than 10 bucks - they make awesome large shims - i didn`t trim the shims as i may have to drive them in a bit more when the house settles. I was sure to use a rubber mallet!
here is a nice piece of tamarack - looks short, eh?
that`s because it is! - this spot under the bedroom is only about 8 inches in height!!!
and here it is finished and shimmed!
next i added some support under the load-bearing wall - this spot is about 19 inches in height...
I used a phone pole section again..
and a railway tie to span 2 joists
finally - a 4x4 spanning two joists ..
and another... you can see my previous support in the back at the right..
in all i placed 7 extra supports in the basement- each one will support no less than a ton (probably way more). that is plenty to keep the sagging at bay!! case closed!!!
kymber`s last post mentioned the glue-sniffing squirrels...
it`s not a joke... here is the nozzle on some carb cleaner..
the pressure valve off a gas can!!!!
speaking of which - i gave up and took the ATV into the shop, it needed a lot of work and the carb was filthy again after a new one last spring - they cleaned it and found the culprit see that gas gauge?
out it comes - the metal parts were rusting!!!
here is a good look - dropping rust crud into the gas!!!!!
so i removed all the metal and re-sealed the plastic top. after a week from the shop - the atv stopped working - i had to clean the carb again as the float needle stuck and drained all the gas - i took off the gas tank and got the last out then put it all back together - the fuel valve on the petcock won't fully close so i used small vice grips to clamp the fuel line shut for good measure. additionally the battery wasn't working quite right either as it had fully discharged too many times - i got a better one and it comes out after each use and into the trickle charger. FINALLY i think i have the thing figured out!
i hate engines...
winter so far has been kinda crappy - either warmer but rainy/snowy and windy or sunny and frigid, and windy. but it has also been really gray and a little depressing!
but spring will be here soon!