Tuesday, March 15, 2016

back up and at'em

it's been a mixed bag of weather since my dental surgery last week.


some of you have asked in email what kind of surgery i had. well, i had the not so good kind. as in, having the last 12 remaining teeth removed from my mouth. yes, Pioneer Preppy, you can now call me toothless Joe (beat ya to it - bahahah!)

being only 45, having absolutely no teeth and requiring dentures seems pretty young. but some backstory here - when i was 11 months old and fell down concrete stairs strapped in to a walker...that banged up my head and teeth quite a bit. breaking my nose over 13 times over the next 20yrs rattled not only my head but also my teeth. up until then tho - still had all of my teeth.

then about 6 years ago, i was carrying a shovel, a hoe, a bucket of rocks and some other stuff out to the garden and tripped and landed on a paving stone. on my face. clear knocked out 3 teeth, went to the dentist and he removed 9 more. so i got partials. the problem is tho, that i am a grinder. i grind my teeth 24/7 hours a day. even in my sleep. and as i don't sleep with my partials in - i was double grinding. i had to go back several times to have my partials refit as my own teeth were being ground down so much and i finally got to the point where i decided i wanted the rest of the teeth out and get full on dentures. i found a really good dentist who agreed that i was just going to keep having problems with my original teeth for the rest of my life and that all these years of grinding could be the reason why i have such regular headaches and migraines. with no teeth to grind - my headaches/migraines might stop. oh Halleluja!

as well, i found an excellent denturist who asked me how long i could wait until getting a mold done. i said "buddy, i live in the middle of nowhere. i need teeth for july 27th for the fourchu reunion...until then i can run around nekkid and toothless and no one would be the wiser!". he was thrilled. he said that making dentures is an art, but also "a Game"! he was very excited that i could wait so long as he explained that most people have problems with dentures because they get fitted too quickly. he wants to see me in mid-april to check up on my healing. but jambaloney is amazed at how fast i am healing! i was on the phone with my sister c the afternoon after i got my teeth out and she couldn't believe that i was talking as clearly as i was. and everyone of our friends knows that i am out of commission and will not be attending functions for the next few months because if the denturist wants to wait until end may/early june to do the actual fitting - i am all for it! and although i have been in pain - my head has not been pounding this week. my jaws ache and my gums hurt but my head is not pounding!

i already showed you my nutri-bullet which has helped so much in my healing process.


i would call it my bestest frenemy as i have been drinking slurpies, smoothies and juices all week - and i am "food chewer"!

then after a few days i was able to move on to baby food strained pears, apple sauce cups and baby ancient grain cereal - baleck to all of that!


finally i moved on to some home-made pureed soup.


that's jambaloney's soup with the delicious cilantro. mine was just plain old pureed soup.

jambaloney was being really sweet saying how much he loved eating smoothies and pureed soup. but don't worry, i made sure to feed him good.

and then today, kids, oh thank heavens - i was able to take all of the ingredients in my delicious homemade salsa and turn it into this:


i know eh? not quite a smoothie or a juice, not quite a pureed soup or an apple sauce - but something that tasted LIKE FOOD!

and tonight for supper when jambaloney is enjoying lebanese hamburger rice and crunchy veggie salad, i'll be enjoying this:


sauteed spinach with a ton of butter and then pureed - deeelish!

anyway, just wanted to let you all know how things are progressing here. jambaloney is at work onsite tomorrow - he didn't go in to work last week because he wanted to be sure he was here with me. but the swelling is gone down, i didn't get any bruising except for in the actual holes where the teeth used to be and the smallest holes are pretty much healed closed. the molars will take another bit of time, but i've been doing pretty well all things considered, finished my antibiotics and haven't really needed my pain pills for the past day. i'll take one if i need it, but only if i need it.

hope this wasn't too much information but i just wanted to let you all know that there are circumstances whereby if your teeth are constantly causing you trouble and you are constantly having to get crowns, fillings, bridges, partials - and for those of you lucky enough to afford implants - hey that's great. but there are situations that sometimes it's best to just let go of those teeth. it's each individual's circumstances that matter.

26 comments:

  1. Sending you a massive hug. I only had one wisdom tooth out and now I am scared of the dentist. it didnt want to come out and I was awake. Enough said.

    Get better soon!

    Love Sol xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sol - 1 was a wisdom tooth, 6 were molars and the rest were normal teeth. my dentist was a tiny female and had to have me almost upside down in the chair. i was in the chair for 4 and a half hours! at one point a male dentist walked by and said "are you still working on her?" and then he said "for the love of gawd give her some lidocaine (sp?)!". i guess i was only on novocaine. then when the dentist got to the wisdom tooth and one huge molar, she went and got him to pull those. i was awake through it all, the assistant kept going out and telling jambaloney that i was doing fine. it hurt like heck but i had made the decision to do it and i just focused on that. my dentist, her assistant and the male dentist were all very good to me. i couldn't have asked for more!

      jambaloney can't believe how fast i am healing and i am not taking any pain pills for the last 3 days. of course it still hurts but i don't want to take any more pills for something that SHOULD actually hurt! and today i actually planted some tulips! woohoo! thanks for the massive hug - it helped! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Wow! I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE! Glad you're recuperating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was something else Gorges - but i was determined and i tried to play mind over matter. and i think it worked! i am recuperating very well, thank you! xox

      Delete
  3. So glad you are feeling ok. That's a lot to go through. here's to hoping you feel better soo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DFW - i am feeling so much better since yesterday and even did some planting today. i am healing up pretty good and can even "gum" smooshy food. i can't wait to be able to "gum" some actual food in a few weeks - these juices and smoothies are killing me - bahahahah! xoxo

      Delete
  4. So I guess this means my theory that your bark is worse than your bite really is true then? Mahahahahahaha :)

    Get it? Bite...errr... I kill me :)

    Seriously Glad your feeling better and I hope it does help the headaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PP - ya - i get it! yer super clever! ya nutbag! but ya - if this helps the headaches then all of it is worth it!

      and Gurlie - i know eh? he's like a 14yr old boy with his humour! bahahahah! oh i kill me, too!! xoxoxo to the both of you!

      Delete
  5. thanks for update. was worried.
    if i ever win the lottery i want implants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no need to worry deb - i'm healing up pretty good. to be honest - i am afraid of implants - and not just because of the cost!!!! i don't like the idea of things being drilled into my head. i won't even wear contacts! sending much love and an email on the way! xoxox

      Delete
  6. Hey Angel-- So glad to hear you are feeling better. I hope it all goes well for you.
    Our oldest has 8 loose teeth and I know what its been like for him losing them, so I don't wish that on anyone. Just happy that you are not in a rush for the dentures, but dad was and let me tell you, they are a real pain in his butt. He half wears them.

    Much love to you and Jam, keep getting better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey back Angel - i am feeling soooo much better. oh i feel so bad for your oldest! yes, the denturist is so glad that i can wait as he had never in his 20yr career had someone wait until they are completely healed to be fitted. there are a ton of people here who only wear half of their dentures because of getting fitted too soon and not going in to get them adjusted regularly. my denturist wants to see me every six months, or sooner if i need it, to be sure that my dentures fit. he said he wants to make me really nice dentures, not too perfect and not too white. he wants to make them look as natural as possible. but he said his main goal is to make me a set of dentures so that i will be able to eat corn on the cob again! oh Gurlie - it's 6 years since i could eat corn off the cob! you don't know how excited i am! sending much love to you, Senior and the boys, as always! xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  7. Hey Sweet Angel,
    It's great to hear you're doing so well after having the rest of your teeth pulled. I do know what you've gone through. Both of my parents had every tooth removed and dentures made. Dad had every tooth pulled in one day, his mouth was full of stitches, and so swollen. Take it easy, don't rush into anything is the great way to handle this. You want to make sure your mouth is totally healed before moving forward. I'm so proud of you!!!! Before you know it you'll have your dentures in and they'll be fitted properly. It's amazing to find a dentists who will work with you, and who is aware of your needs. If doing this stops your headaches/migraines then I say it's a win....win.....
    Your sweet man, Jambaloney loves you dearly. He bought you the bullet to help make great meals and snacks for you while going through this process.
    Hang in there dear friend, can't wait to see your new smile.
    Hugs, and love to you, and Jambaloney.
    Your Friend,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Sweet Angel - you are sooo right! i had 9 stitches that all dissolved in 3 days - pretty impressive right? and yes - taking the time to heal is so important...and i can take the time. some people can't and have to be fitted right away due to jobs and stuff - but i am very grateful that i can do this at this point in my life and really take the time. jambaloney is awesome - drinking smoothies and juices with me but i still feed him really good. when i get my new teeth - you and Angel #1 will be the first to get a pic! i am excited and sooo looking forward to be able to eat corn off the cob again - woohoo! sending much love to you, BDMan, Tank and little Beans, as always! xoxoxo

      Delete
  8. So glad you checked in! And hurray for the lack of headaches/migraines! I would trade my teeth for relief in that department any day. I know you take good care of yourself and Jambaloney, so I am positive you will be the fastest healer ever! Hugs from me to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - thank you for the hugs! they helped! and yes - if this makes the headaches and migraines go away - halleluja! it's been a week and 2 days with no grinding (nothing to grind, right?) and no headaches. i am very excited about this whole thing! thanks again for the hugs! xoxoxo

      Delete
  9. Wow. That is a story to be sure. So glad you are doing well and healing up.

    Much love, TB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya - it's quite the story TB but i am so glad that i made this decision, did it and am full of excitement for the future! sending much love back to the TB Clan! xoxox

      Delete
  10. Sounds like the worst is over, now just the fitting. You could say you're lucky in that we are not in a post SHTF time where dentists may be difficult to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike - part of my decision-making was thinking about if i let it go too long - what would happen if SHTF? but jambaloney said - no worries - he'll make me some George Washington teeth - bahahaha! xoxo

      Delete
  11. I've been places so cold my teeth hurt. I'm guessing you are a natural artic explorer now!

    Sounds like you are on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - i've been to the arctic twice in my life and my teeth were really cold - bahahahah! i am definitely on the mend and still jealous as oh heck about that gorgeous murphy bed set-up you got! sending much love! xoxoxo

      Delete
  12. Hi Kymber, Came to your blog by way of Herrick Kimball. I live on Block Island RI off the coast about 15 miles.
    Joined the US Navy when I was 17 and was playing an intramural football game when I went to block a kick. Found out later I was suppose to use my hands and not my face! The guy removed the top eight front teeth in one fell swoop. Had a partial for a couple of years and things kept worse so I had the rest of the top ones removed and have been wearing a top denture for the last 60 years! Down to seven on the bottom but it sure brushing a quick and easy thing!! Now you know more than you really wanted to.

    Where is your Island located? I'm too lazy to get up and go find my Atlas. Were you born and raised there on the Island? My ancestors came over on the funny little ship called the Mayflower. I v'e heard that the sheriff of Nottingham followed us to the dock with a warrant that said something about horse thievery ! To late we got away.
    I'll give up for now but will be back to talk to another Islander! Supposed to snow here about midnight, "Poor man's fertilizer" don't you know. Bye for now. Everett

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could really relate to your blog. I am having a few teeth out soon and am quite nervous. Loved the idea of using the nutri-bullet to make slurpies, seemed like it really worked for you, I will give it a try. Hopefully will be able to strain baby food as quickly as you were able to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with your recovery! It looks like a difficult adjustment. I have a Nutribullet myself; I love it. I'm glad it's been useful for your recovery. At least the weather is finally starting to cool down, so it'll be soup season! After reading your post I’ll definitely make sure I go to a dentist; I haven't in a while.

    ReplyDelete