i mentioned a while ago in a post that we had foundation issues and ended it with a picture of a jackpost in a box. well, we needed the jackpost big-time! have a look at the rot at the bottom of this "beam":
that beam was holding up a good portion of load bearing wall between the living room and computer room/study/storage room. it is even LESS supported that the portion of the wall i fixed with lumber and shims. i realized it needed to be addressed immediately!! this was the overall situation - that 4x4 at the back sits on the concrete and is the only stable part of the wall!!
here is the savior/jackpost again:
i needed a concrete footing - good to have scraps handy!!
and here is the jackpost footing - i attached a block of a 2x4 to the metal plate to give some friction and cushion when tightening:
here it is, ready for the post:
here is the post in place before tightening, notice how the beam is waaaay off!!
you want to make sure it is dead-level all around...
before you screw in the plate to the sill and tighten the bolt:
worked so well, i quickly installed one on the other side - i feel a LOT better about the foundation now!!
over the next few weeks i tightened them a bit to compensate for settling until they were rock solid. by early february i was satisfied.
the jackposts are temporary in the sense that i want to replace the entire support system for the floor. but for the time being, we will be able to rely on these posts to keep us "above the water line" for a while.