this post has lotsa pics - i want to show how 1,2,3 an upgrade can be if you are ready. in this case, our bathroom baseboard heater needs replacing- it is in the wrong place, is too weak and, well, doesn't really provide any heat. in the winter, it sucks using the toilet, so we plug this thing in - a pain!!
winter is coming, we need an upgrade... first step, i identify and isolate the POS (piece of s***) :
next - i turn off breakers #1 and #3:
one of these helps ;-)
next, i get the tools together... new heater, elecrtical kit, 12/2 wire, drill, bits, screws, junction box (didn't need the reciprocating saw after all - i drilled the new heater right into the baseboard)
okay, back to the bathroom to pry the POS off the wall:
and take the cover off revealing the "guts" - pehew!!
after i take the wire nuts off, i test for conductivity... black on black (hot), red on red or white (neutral) ...nothing here, safe to proceed!
the POS has been taken to the "boneyard" (more on that in another post - the metal will be useful for something else) . now the exposed wires are ready to be re-routed to the basement:
and connected to the new heater ( i have already installed the thermostat in the heater):
now holes are needed in the floor. the original wire comes down through the wall, so i bypass that altogether - this isn't a full renovation ;-)
i drill a hole for the old wire that i then push through (i used a 1/2 " spade bit in the drill):
and then i drill a hole for the new heater (note the fluorescent string i pushed through the hole - that will come in handy!)
now to the basement...er, crawlspace for the dirty work!!! tools are ready!!
take a deep breath....... nice, huh??
notice how the space gets smaller, that's where i have to go... notice the emergency insulation and vapor barrier i smashed in there in a panic last january - upgrade for that before xmas!!!
okay...find hole # 1- the old wires:
and find hole #2 - the destination (note the flourescent string ;-)
to bridge the 2, i have to install a junction box near the old wire on this stud (complete with spider, thank god i don't have arachnaphobia, there are 100s in the crawl space and at this point, clearance is about 15" !!)
i install the box, cap the wires:
put a plate on it:
i run the wire about 10 feet, stapling it to studs all the way and push it up through the destination hole:
flip the breakers back on and PRESTO - a new energy efficient, WORKING baseboard heater!!
it is in the right place, NOT behind the door - lol!!! the total cost was about $65.00 which we will probably save this winter alone as a result of the upgrade. took me 2 hours!!
more gonzo project posts coming your way- cheers!