Sunday, June 15, 2014

hey fat boy! (Updated with hot sauce recipe link!)

(h/t to Max-a-million)

"Hey fat boy, I wanna make you smile
Hey big boy, come play with me for a while"

i used to love that song! you can look it up on youtube if you so desire. but trust me, it'll get you dancing!

below is the reason why we have been singing "fat boy" all week long.



when i first saw him, i thought he was a she. i yelled to jambaloney - "babe! we have a pregnant female!". but then jambaloney noticed his ruby red throat which you can't see in the picture. male humminbirds have ruby red throats, whereas the females have white throats.  anyway, he's the fattest hummingbird we have ever seen and he actually looks slim in the picture!

he guards that feeder like a maniac. he lets some of the girls drink but he won't let a male anywhere near it. it's fun to sit at the table and watch the hummingbirds. but whenever he shows up we start singing "fat boy" and it always makes us laugh.

here's some daikon radish and carrot kimchi i made the other day. it's super yummy! i'll put the recipe up on our recipe blog in the next day or two. i have just up my recipe for homemade hot sauce for Mike - i hope he enjoys it!


i love spaghetti that has tons of mushrooms and meat in the sauce. i make the sauce from scratch.


here it is with some deliciously-aged parmesan - yummeh - and some fresh greens from the greenhouse with the radish/carrot kimchi as the dressing - it went down really good!

allrighty - it's a bit of a rainy day today - nothing like some of you have been experiencing - just a normal rainy day and the garden is loving it! we've been doing regular gardening things the last few days and today we are doing jobs around the house. and enjoying the rain by leaving our bath robes in the plastic-wrapped porch, running outside naked in the rain and then jumping in the hottub - it's awesome!

i hope that you all are enjoying your day too!

16 comments:

  1. I resemble that remark. The food looks great. Thanks for the nice greeting. I ts my first time as a grand pappy..:) It rained here for a day and a half. more mowing in my future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. teehee - that was funny, Rob, buddy! you are very welcome for the Happy Father's Day wishes - i know it was your first as a grandpappy and i wanted to make sure to leave you a comment. sorry about the mowing buddy - that sucks! much love to you and yours! xoxox

      Delete
  2. I really need to try you kimchi...love the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Stephen - i make all kinds of different kimchis that my korean teacher taught me. i'll try to stay on the recipe blog and put a bunch of different ones up so that you can figure out which ones you like best. much love, buddy!

      Delete
  4. That bird says he isn't fat, he is just big boned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry - that's what our cats say! all 3 of them are big-boned. no to be honest - they are all fat and lazy and all they do is eat - bahahahahah! much love always to you and yours my friend. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Oh poor bird! Maybe he just has plumb feathers. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey, buddy, that's really nice of you to try and pick up for the little bird. but the honest to goodness truth is - HE IS FAT! bahahahahahah! xoxoxo

      Delete
  6. I think that's the one that drained my feeder three or four times on his way North.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PP - you might be on to something there, i'll ask him the next time he's in the mood for conversation! he's so busy guarding that he doesn't like to take breaks to converse. xoxoxxoo
      (didn't even call you wiener in this comment. pretty good, no?)

      Delete
  7. I lost my whole comment!
    Yummy looking dinners!!! I adore the antics of hummingbirds!!
    We had a wonderful day, the kids took their dad shooting. They had a blast, my husband inherited his best friends AK 47 and shot it for the first time in thirty years. Bittersweet moment. But boys love shooting, and exploding targets lol! We had ribs and potato salad. Grand babies (twins :) ) came for dinner and we played outside. Perfect day....
    I can't wait for the recipes along with Mike, I told hubs I was going to make him some home made hot sauce!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lw - we love watching the hummingbirds - they are so fun to watch! i am glad that your husband took the boys out - the boys must have really enjoyed themselves! oooh ribs and potatoe salad - now you got me hungry! the recipe is up on the recipe blog and i hope that you enjoy it! xoxoxo

      Delete
  8. I ate some lovely kimichi in Cambodia. it was in a little shake near an American diner in phnom penh. I think it was called Freebird or blue bird, something like that any way. we ate at the American diner the next night. OMG potato products after weeks of rice and noodles. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love kimichi. And I really love fresh trout with kimichi. Your spaghetti looks yummy. Last summer, Kathi and I had spaghetti squash with home made spaghetti sauce. It was quite good.

    You might need to see about some diet sweet water for Fat boy. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made your kimichi and it was excellent!!

    ReplyDelete