so before much ado and all that stuff, i caught my first striped bass!!!
a buddy who has a cottage down the road had come to visit the other night - he has a fishing tournament in honour of his dad every year. he mentioned a couple of his friends caught some bass on rapalas so i took a heavier rig out with me yesterday morning as well. it was a bit cool and breezy and the trout were in a funk so i paddled to the channel and started casting - i didn't expect much so a 5 lb bass was quite the surprise when he hit hard! it was a weird catch - bass, two white perch and a tiny trout (it swallowed the lure)
i have been upgrading my rigs - when you take some old line off to spool new line, wrap it around a toilet paper roll if it is still good, you can use it to make rigs or tie up stuff around the house...
back to fishing - here is may 31, halfway down the road - if you squint, you can see the manor at the top of the hill
water was nice and calm...
and here is a bag limit that sandy and pioneer p need to share!!!
next trip was june 09 - i took harry along for the ride - this is the sun at 6 AM
9 days later and everything is much greener...
harry has a coffee mug in his hand for the walk ;-)
reflections were awesome that day..
it's like two worlds the same...
okay enough dreamy stuff - more nice trout!
back to work - here is a tip for re-using zip ties, try to stretch them around as much as you can before tying them off then you can clip the end, pull the small tip out and re-use (alternatively, you can wrap it around a few times and then zip, the result is the same) the bottom tie is from last year..
from fencing the huggie culture (hugelkultur)!
as you can see, there is plenty of tie left for another use!
half done - this is our new strawberry bed!!!
1st yellow swallowtail - summer is almost upon us!
we are transplanting tomotoes on the next nice day. last year we used alder sticks as stakes - after a year, they are as brittle as eggshells and useless, so this year i am making metal ones with the sawzall and trash - a lawn chair yielded 9 stakes..
and here is a discarded trampoline...
that was good for 23 more! the last 4 stakes are 3 plastic edges from greenhouse window panes and a broken broom handle - trashy, but at least they will be usable next year!
tomatoe tires ready to go with tubs of manure-laden soil to top them up - you can see the cages in the background...
here is one beforehand, they needed work - big-ass dandelion and crappy rotting twigs - all fixed!
hope you are all having as productive and fun june as we are - cheers!