Monday, October 9, 2017

Thanksgiving 2017!

Thanksgiving is our favourite holiday! or as jambaloney likes to call it "9 hours of cooking, dirtying every pan and pot in the house, so 2 people can sit and enjoy 15 different things on their plate" - bahahahah! he's a barrel of sunshine, that guy!!!

but i looooove a full spread of thanksgiving turkey dinner and jambaloney can attest to the fact that i can eat platefulls of turkey and gravy and stuffing and mashed and carrot and turnip for several days in a row - then i bust out the jams and start eating hot turkey sandwiches, cold turkey sandwiches, turkey poutine (it's at this point that i have to make more gravy from scratch as i like all of my servings of turkey to come in a soup bowl...as soup!). i can eat turkey everyday from canadian thanksgiving, to american thanksgiving (which we celebrate in november) and right up to xmas dinner. for 3 entire months of the year i can live off turkey and fixings!

it was an incredibly beautiful day......very warm.


cats were checked regularly for signs of being alive. and fed.


this one is just passing out,


we did a morning harvest:



and turned it into this:



the day called for a traditional thanksgiving dinner (lunch):

 thai spicy noodles with peanut butter, coconut milk, a bunch of hot spices - regular thanksgiving fare.

ahh! but the beach called,too.


and we decided to have a thanksgiving menu that we either grew, foraged or fished.


the beach was amazing as usual.


i know i will cry for turkey and fixins' tomorrow, but for tonight this was our thanksgiving dinner.


the last 2 beautiful trout that jambaloney caught at the end of the season, and we froze, for this very reason!


a tomatoe and cucumber salad from our garden (minus the lemon and oil) and mussels that jambaloney picked for me today.

one of the best things about harvesting is saving seeds...we love saving our own seeds year after year.


and then there is this experience keeping us interested - collecting nasturtium seeds. some to be saved as seed and some to be turned into "poor man's capers".


i'll let you know how they turn out!

happy canadian thanksgiving day to all!

9 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, that looks like a salsa you were having that is on the list for this week in my kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, Poor Man's Capers! I can't wait to hear how they turn out. I always plant lots of nasturtiums and save the seeds. I am with you on turkey. I almost like it leftover than I like it on the main day. I sure hope that our weather is more like fall by the time our thanksgiving arrives. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued with your "capers". I've never grown nasturtiums and now I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kymber, your first paragraph described our day yesterday lol...funny. Happy Thanksgiving! :) My eyes perked up at "turkey poutine" VERY good idea. I made a 10 pound bird and my gosh we have so many leftovers. We had rain all weekend, but it's nice and autumny here now! Your fish looks great! And what a nice beach day. I'm pretty thankful to live in Canada. All the furry family is getting along and our routines are slowly getting back to normal, I'm thankful for that too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're living the good life, keep it up, you're our inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happiest of Thanksgivings, Jam and Kymber!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kymber and Jambaloney,

    Happy Thanksgiving!!! We hear you girlie, turkey can be served for day's beyond the actual holiday :-)
    I see what you've done with the remaining trout, saved them for an amazing feast later on. Did you smoke the fish?
    Do you feed your cat's a bit of turkey for a special treat? Always after eating turkey it makes you want to take a nice relaxing nap.....maybe the cat's are doing the same...Bahahahahaha!!!

    Miss y'all, sending hugs and love your way.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a good time will be had by all, four legged or two legged. I like the idea of using your own provisions, that really is what Thanksgiving was about, at least down here.

    Glad all is well with you two in the paradise by the sea. I always get jealous when I see that beach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to say, I think you have the best, most human Prime Minister. Everyone could learn from him about actually giving a sh!t.

    I hope you are both well.

    ReplyDelete