this post i started last fall and never finished, today's little job continued the theme so here you have it!
first off - the text i started
"okay >> sometimes projects don't get finished when winter hits - i won't complete this til spring so here ya have it!
our driveway is steep and about 100 feet long until the turn around -...."
here WAS a nice fall day
well that was it so here we go with the rest of the fall pics - yes - the driveway is long
someday i will get to putting in this perforated hose @ strategic spots... pay attention to that thing in the upper right corner..
as the ruts that the truck tires make become run-off making deeper ruts every rain
so last fall i started re-trenching the ditch and adding strategic diverts every 20 feet or so
here is a good pic of how deep the tire tracks had gone...
i filled in the tire ruts with the dirt from the trenching of the ditches
you can get an idea here
here is a ditch before trenching..
okay off to the beach for gravel!!!
not too much so the truck doesn't suffer...
and seaweed while there!!!
i filled in the rest with beach gravel until the freezing came upon us - got about 75 feet up the driveway!
so now it is spring!!!! and the ruts are back!!!!
and how - i will be filling these in again - but i am also going to devise some kind of scraper to grind down the middle part...
but we have something else to fix - remember that "thing"? well i found it during large pickup last year i THINK it may be from an old satellite dish - they used to use the real big ones here years ago - it is metal and heavy and hollow in the center
we need some other tools today...
and this stuff...
why you ask? well this winter i got the truck stuck going up the hill and it came to rest against one of the poles for our chain. my buddy d came to drag me out - BUT i had to hack the pole down. as it was buried in snow and ice i used a few 2x4s to "glue' it back together. well the snow and ice is gone and my wretched mess is falling apart. i plan to put steel posts in that are set in concrete, but i needed a "here and now" solution..
first off, i took the old pole down and took off the 2x4s.. but it turned out to be too short and fat - i had a lot of chipping away with the axe to make it fit in the new base..
so i looked at the other post and eyed the baby on the left - it was pretty much just sitting on the ground so it wasn't providing support anyway..
so off it came and trimmed with the sawzall!
it fit in the base nicely and i used the axe to cut some wedges..
and added rocks galore!
i took an old support from the busted post and banged it in where i stole the new post from - old nails, sledge and rock - good enough!!!
thar she be!!!
last step was to wrap a plastic bag around it and tape it to prevent water from getting in the crack and rotting the wood..
i will do the rounds to visit you all soon - been a crazy winter but finally the grackles and robins have arrived and there is way more brown than white!!!