okay so this post is a things-i-did-on-the-greenhouse-before-winter update....
my mom and step-dad bought us a compressor, nailer/stapler and framing nailer before we left - in all the business, i never took the time to crack it open - i like to take the time to use new tools correctly - i should have learned this one earlier!!! so in september, i cracked it open - here is the compressor..
and the nailer/stapler!!!
princess auto special!!!!
i got this out because i wanted to finish the bottom of the roof quickly. as you can see the glass only goes so far and water doesn't run off the roof - a lot of it pools in the greenhouse - no biggie for a month or two, but winter was coming i needed an extension of the ridge small 1x2s did the trick, 18 in all- the brad nailer made quick work of this job..
i screwed a bottom ridge all along the front...
here is a better view..
i used sections of old siding and staples to complete the job..
each gap was extended with siding..
and silicone caulking filled the gaps and cracks as well as covering the staples
here is a good pic that shows how the water will now run right off the roof..
here is a good view as well as showing the completed roof at the back with pressure treated plywood covering the gaps there.. the roof was complete!!!
next - here are tubes of latex i used to seal the windows...
you can see the caulking on the back here, then we painted to seal 'er up good!
i simply used doubled-up plastic at the back...come late spring/summer we will want it all rolled up for venting purposes..
lastly, foam in the big gaps!
it might be 2 deg c outside, but almost 20 deg c inside
above is a greenhouse in a greenhouse! ted, this is your seeding tray modified to provide an extra warming area - it will be great for spring hardening off and keep herbs alive in the winter!
we cover it up at night!
special bonus - overwintering peppers in the basement - hopefully a few will survive - we have 15 in the house doing well!
and w's favorite scruttie ;-)))